Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Sound of Hooves

MySpace (or my_, as it is now apparently called) has finally truly imploded. This is what a poison gas attack must look like. In case you haven't visited Rupert's Playground lately, you should don your hazmat suit and take a gander at what WWI was like. It ain't pretty.

And Facebook, in spite of its vast popularity, somehow still creeps me out a bit. I don't know why. I don't analyze stuff like that too much. It's not that it's inherently evil (is it?) or anything... but I mean, that is where Sarah Palin spreads her nonsense and really... is openly inviting something that's gone viral into your life a good thing? Hmmm.

So I guess I'm back to real people in the real world. You know, people I actually know. People I actually meet. What a concept.

Not that I don't feel I know people I've met (especially on MySpace before the invasion of the body snatchers) through social networking sites. But alas, it's time to pull back. At least from trying to meet any new people. It's time to move on.

The Summer of Love, after all, was a wonderful thing... but not even for a whole summer. And once fall came there was nothing but human flotsam and jetsum washing up on the sidewalks.

So I'm going to try posting my blog over here for awhile. A blog is almost an antiquated notion now. Which makes me like it. You have to put whole sentences together, and paragraphs and such. And then people respond in kind.

Whew. All that syntax in one place is kinda daunting, isn't it?

Of course, I'll still make an occasional visit to Lisa Ferreri's site, Wiffledust.com. And I'll get in and out of Facebook to accept friend requests, and then leave before I get anything on me (that's actually kind of the way I feel... I hurry along, with my helmet on, hoping to escape unscathed). And if I absolutely have to, and I'm feeling courageous and fortified, I'll wade into "my_" and get back out as soon as humanly possible.

Telephones still work. E-mail is a good option. Maybe we should go back to writing letters and sending them in the mail. Remember what a cool feeling it was to actually get a surprise letter from a friend n the mail?

Besides, the way the country is going, we might be back to mail delivery by pony express. Which is good for the employment of horses, I suppose...

4 comments:

  1. lol This was funny. Hey, i like getting letters in the mail. But i think blogging is faster and more fun. No, the ponies will be us walking or riding bicycles with the mail. Since we can't find jobs or afford gas. We can't afford to feed the horses to ride them. Oh and we'd need Mexicans to shovel up the poopy in the roads. Because Americans will not stoop to such jobs. I don't know, we are getting pretty destitute. I like facebook but i can see how it is neater for chatty woman folk. Wishing they'd just left myspace well enough alone. Nothing wrong with wading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the people i met better too. Can't really blame ya. Although,i do have some great online friends i like alot. And would love to meet them or go to one of their shows. Or be a groupie maybe. Including a certain blues musician friend. I love having my friends from Europe. And i have this new very smart friend from Australia who rocks. Meeting folks on world pantheism forum.I meet a 19 year old who shared alot of my views and messaged me a few times because he saw the similarities. Made me feel good to have like a young foot step follower. lol Missed ya. Been looking for ya. You blog way more than Charles & John Cord so is awesome. Plus, you are a current events blogger and i rarely get to watch the news. due to i have all these men in the house. my husband is a sci-fi nut. i get bored. I do read the news on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've abandoned MySpace too (I refused to use the little symbol--just like I kept referring to that singer as Prince and not the glyph he used instead of a name). Too many hassles, too many propositions--even after I changed the profile picture (like anyone could see my face in the old one). I've even tried out Word Press (where Charlie has sort of moved his blog--well, the Team put it there, but I'm still awaiting Charlie's arrival). I've even started a blog over there if anyone gets bored and wants to hear the ramblings of a history teacher. Little participation so far (so don't feel too bad, David).

    And I'm so old school, I still mail Christmas cards...but I also stock up on those Forever stamps.

    ReplyDelete